My photo
Secwécwpemc-ken ri7(I am Shuswap), Chief, Economist, Distance Runner, and Secwepemc Health Researcher/Co-ordinator/Policy guy. I've run a 30:24-10k, 1:06:23-half, and 2:19:55-full marathon but am most proud of the World Peace Prayer Day '06 relay run to Anchorage from Vancouver I participated in. This blog is primarily about running but I will post photos of the many places I like go on the tmícw of my maternal ancestors, Secwépemcul'ecw.

Monday, March 10, 2014

Re sqéxe

So I decided to get a sqéxe (dog) last week and  as one would expect it has changed my training a bit, some for the better some for the worse I suppose. It is nice to have a partner to run with but its derailed this week a bit because she has been sitting at the SPCA for a month and was not in very good shape. She handled the 1 hour runs in the ice and snow but I think maybe her foot pads were getting sore so I didnt want to take her for a long run on Sunday. Because I just got her I didn't want to leave her in the apartment since she is a bit of a barker. So, I nixed the long run and opted to do some hill work on Sunday that way she would put less miles on her feet. The other challenge is that the ground is thawing and its a mucky muddy mess, so we hopped in my truck and drove up in elevation till it was ice and snow still. Finally, my 'go-to' route has several loose dogs on it so i'm not running that way anymore. This is a flat route and I cut through someones yard (with the dogs). My alternative route is...up.

Anyway those are relatively small challenges to overcome and I'm happy to have a running partner. As with any running partner it makes lack of motivation to get out and run disappear because she needs to go outside first thing in the morning anyway, she knew after just a few days what it meant when I pulled my tights on.  I am even contemplating doing some doubles since I take her out for an afternoon/evening walk too. Furthermore, after the Vancouver Marathon is over, shes still going to need exercise so I might become a year round runner again after all!
p.s.  35 days in a row!
p.p.s. I have decided not to run the Kamloops 10k next weekend. No racing till I can knock off a decent time.

No comments:

Post a Comment