My photo
Secwécwpemc-ken ri7(I am Shuswap), Chief, Economist, Distance Runner, and Secwepemc Health Researcher/Co-ordinator/Policy guy. I've run a 30:24-10k, 1:06:23-half, and 2:19:55-full marathon but am most proud of the World Peace Prayer Day '06 relay run to Anchorage from Vancouver I participated in. This blog is primarily about running but I will post photos of the many places I like go on the tmícw of my maternal ancestors, Secwépemcul'ecw.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Revived

30min. Soaked already, but warmed up and awake, not chipper by any means.
60min. Grind mind. Realizing its going to be a tough slog, but nice to be running Burnaby Lake again.
90min. Grind time. Longest run in a long time. BCIT to Rupert is going to be tough.
120min. The wall. I now realize 'the wall' does exist, and its a product of not being in shape.
130min. Satisfaction. I am a distance runner once again.


It wasn't fast. It wasn't even particularly long(18mi), but I have always said that I don't feel like I can call myself a distance runner until I get a 120min run under my belt. Truthfully, I don't mean it. I've always been a distance runner, I expect I always will be. The reasons for being one have changed at times, and i've racked up a number of zero mileage weeks, nevertheless, I am a distance runner.


I've only done a few runs now and i'm a bit reluctant to say i'm back to running. Over the last couple of years I have made a number of attempts to get back at it, all of which have failed. Like the morning after a good night by the fire, there's almost no smoke, just warmth, if you're lucky, and careful, you can get it going again. This time, the flame has returned. I don't mean the competitive fire, I mean the will and desire to run long, to run far, to become exhausted, to suffer, to go beyond fatigue. I am excited to go far, not limiting myself to structured workouts, structured weeks, months, years even. I'm going to rest, then i'm going to run, and see how far it takes me. Hopefully not to injury, and hopefully not insanity(some might say i've been there in training before).


It's running time again, and i'm going to chronicle my progression and journey once again, if only as a log, or journal for myself. Any feedback is welcomed.


So far:
Today - 18mi
Two days ago - 7.5mi
Four days ago - 12.5mi
Six days ago - 5.7mi
Eight days ago - 10mi
Ten days ago - 5mi

No comments:

Post a Comment