My photo
Secwécwpemc-ken ri7(I am Shuswap), Chief, Economist, Distance Runner, and Secwepemc Health Researcher/Co-ordinator/Policy guy. I've run a 30:24-10k, 1:06:23-half, and 2:19:55-full marathon but am most proud of the World Peace Prayer Day '06 relay run to Anchorage from Vancouver I participated in. This blog is primarily about running but I will post photos of the many places I like go on the tmícw of my maternal ancestors, Secwépemcul'ecw.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Laid up

I didn't really think it would happen this quickly. With a more than ambitious ramping up of the long run I expected some kind of injury to happen. Sounds silly but, I expected to have some IT band issues or something in the lower legs, injuries i've had before and know how to deal with quickly. Unfortunately this was not the case and a problem that was bound to happen finally did.  For years I have neglected to develop a strong core, which is probably the most important thing you can do as a runner, from an efficiency perspective. A strong stable core reduces rotation and so the power you deliver to the ground is directed forward and not dissipated by lateral or rotational movement. Nevertheless, my neglect has come back and bit me in the ass, literally. My left psoas/iliopsoas (unsure of the specifics) is very sore. On my last long run a week ago, I went for a relaxed 24.5miles, and in the last 45mins I felt a tightening in my lower back/pelvis and by the end of the run it was very uncomfortable. Anyhow, it turns out those particular muscles are really hard to get at and any kind of self therapy has been ineffective at releasing the tightness fully. So i'm waiting to see my massage therapist on tuesday, i'm sure he'll cure me. In the meantime i'm doing some exercises to help strengthen my core without furthering the imbalance. Moral of the story, when you feel unbalanced, you probably are! I am excited to build a strong core and the reality check was good for me, i'm setting some more modest goals. Looking forward to getting back out there. I've decided to commit to doing an Ultramarathon this year, i've been wanting to do one since I was 13 and its time to satisfy the urge.

No comments:

Post a Comment