My photo
Secwécwpemc-ken ri7(I am Shuswap), Chief, Economist, Distance Runner, and Secwepemc Health Researcher/Co-ordinator/Policy guy. I've run a 30:24-10k, 1:06:23-half, and 2:19:55-full marathon but am most proud of the World Peace Prayer Day '06 relay run to Anchorage from Vancouver I participated in. This blog is primarily about running but I will post photos of the many places I like go on the tmícw of my maternal ancestors, Secwépemcul'ecw.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Beat Up

Feelin a little beat up this week. My IT band/hip area problem is persisting and i've generally felt pretty tired this week. I tend to feel like this at the changing of seasons and also get a perennial cold at the end of september-start of october. This added to the cumulative effect of sleeping on average 6.5 hours a night for the last few weeks has me feeling a bit run down. I decided to only do a half workout this wednesday because of this feeling and the fact that I had a good two weeks of training. Then on the long run on saturday I stopped after two loops of Elk/Beaver lake because my hip was getting really sore and to be honest I just "wasn't feeling it."  I still ended up running 26miles so its not a complete failure, and perhaps a blessing in disguise; if I had finished the run I might have dug myself a hole I couldn't get out of. I'll chock this up to a rest week.  I am a bit worried about my hip issue though. Typically I don't like to run with any sort of persistent aching or pain, but this has been right on the border so i've been running on it. I have admittedly been taking half-measures in treating it by just rolling on my nalgene bottle and a cue ball wrapped in electrical tape as well as doing some yoga but it is apparently not cutting it.  Today, even though I was feeling a bit tired and sore I decided to do a tough core/lower body workout. Relatively passive therapy doesn't seem to be doing the trick so i'll be putting some work into strengthening/lengthening the area, hopefully if I hit it hard over the next week or so i'll be relatively pain free for the marathon.  As for the next 2 weeks i'm going to do a workout every third day with hill reps being the first workout, mile repeats the second, and something marathon paced for the third, with a final half workout of again something around goal marathon pace a few days before race day. Other than that i'll be trying no to get sick!


Post script: going to stick to two workouts a week. Why mess with routine?

No comments:

Post a Comment