My photo
Secwécwpemc-ken ri7(I am Shuswap), Chief, Economist, Distance Runner, and Secwepemc Health Researcher/Co-ordinator/Policy guy. I've run a 30:24-10k, 1:06:23-half, and 2:19:55-full marathon but am most proud of the World Peace Prayer Day '06 relay run to Anchorage from Vancouver I participated in. This blog is primarily about running but I will post photos of the many places I like go on the tmícw of my maternal ancestors, Secwépemcul'ecw.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

W/E July 22 - Arrowstone Hills

It was another spotty week but I managed to get the key workouts in so it was pretty good overall. I've been battling for the last few weeks with getting out the door in the morning. Reason being that I'm a night person but the weather being as warm/hot as it is forces me to be out the door around 630, which means a 530 wake up. I typically cannot get to bed before 11 and usually in bed closer to 12 so it makes the wake up a tough one. Adding to this is just being tired from getting into shape. Anyway, as I said the week was still a success in my mind. Here's how it went:
Mon - off
Tues - 9.2mi Arrowstone
Wed - 2x3x 90 sec hills (forgot to record splits)
Thurs - off
Fri - 9.2mi Arrowstone
Sat - off
Sun - 31mi long run, just under 4hrs

The long run today was a pretty decent one even though the average pace was fairly slow. I left from my house then ran up Back Valley Rd, took the Arrowstone Creek forest service road up to a point I knew was over 15 miles. From mile one onwards there was very little downhill until near the end of the out portion of the run, the map and elevation is below. So it was a good climb, I saw one black bear, a rabbit, a dead snake, two deer, and a motorcyclist. Other than that I saw some absolutely gorgeous sights. There really is nothing like running in the hills and mountains in the early morning light. One particular spot I stopped as the sun was shining through blackened trees from a forest fire a couple of years ago and there was only a field of purple fireweed growing amongst them. My photo below doesn't do the scene of regeneration justice, it was simply gorgeous.  The route itself was not exceedingly steep but it brought me up to the Arrowstone Hills plateau which is at and above a mile in elevation, again the photos don't do the view justice but it was an extremely pretty run. After the turnaround at 2h20 there is a bit of a climb which was tough but the last 12miles was almost entirely downhill so I was able to get moving and my quads held up well. Great run overall, and a perfect end to the week.


From July 22, 2012
From July 22, 2012
From July 22, 2012
From July 22, 2012
From July 22, 2012
From July 22, 2012
From July 22, 2012
From July 22, 2012
From July 22, 2012
From July 22, 2012
From July 22, 2012
From July 22, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment